If all you plan for is a mid-long trek,give the Kareri lake trek a shot , it’s an offbeat destination you must try.
Located in the Himalayan region, this trek is an mesmerizing trekking experience which will fill you with soothing views of the High ranges and valleys.
Kareri Lake, is known as Kumarwah Lake, and is located in the Dhauladhar range. It is a freshwater glacial lake.
The lake has crystal clear water , and you can spot the lake bed in most places . Above all the crystal clear water reflects the sky above, which is another exotic view that this lake presents. With beautiful mountain ranges around the lake , this region can be defined as a flawless beauty.
You get to go through many waterfalls and tumbling streams all through the way,you also get to see the shepherd villages and be happy to fill your ears with the beautiful humming of the birds.
This lake is located in the state of Himachal Pradesh and almost takes 7 days to complete this trek.
The destination rests at an elevation 3100 mts above the sea level and It is also graded as one of the easiest trek making it beginner friendly.
It covers a distance of 35kms and the months of April to December are considered the best time to visit this place.
READ MORE – Best treks to do near Delhi
About the trek
Just by thinking about The state of Himachal Pradesh your brain flashes the look of paradise. with towering peaks, mixed cultural, traditional living style , mountains and striking views.
Dharamsala being considered as the “land of gods” is the land where the Dalai Lama abides.
This trek begins from the base camp at McLeodganj, and passes through the minkiani pass, baleni pass , lioti and then reaches the lake.
All through the trek ,you pass through many vintage landmarks , along with that You will also get to view the neighbouring mountains and valleys. It doesn’t stop here ,this trek also passes through dense forests, narrow terrains, twirling passes, meadows and much more
This Himachal region offers you the cult of hospitality and you will get to experience the simplicity that brings beauty to this place.
Highlights of the trek
When you climb up the trail, you will experience unique climate changes.
You will also be hiking up the baleni pass located at 12,300 ft and mikaini pass located at 13,230 ft and will feel like being lost in the serenity of the beautiful kareri lake.
you’ll get to meet the local people from there.
How does the trek go
- The trek starts from the base camp, at mcleodganj and you will walk to the kareri village. From there you will go through holy densely packed pine forests and remote villages.After passing a few kilometers like this, You will eventually start climbing on the bottom of the slope, on reaching a certain point you’ll start climbing up the slope.
- which you’ll have a hard time after that while trekking to lioti, located at an altitude of 8038ft it has a beautiful alpine grassland. You’ll have the best experience strolling along the river, crossing bridges, walking on the boulders and camping under the starlit sky, even though it test you through its rough terrain.
- From Lioti you’ll trek to Minkiani pass where the lake is located. on the way you will pass through the narrow trails, paths filled with huge rocks and mud, followed by densely forested ranges on one side of the trail and river gorge flowing on the other side
- As you hike up more, the trail gets tougher and more difficult , you will be physically tested because you’ll be crossing rough paths, But then on reaching the destination you’ll feel delighted on seeing the view of the lake, minkiani pass , baleni pass and the valley below.
Things to carry
- Make sure you carry your water resistant trekking pants / trekking shoes
- Make sure to have warm clothes including warmers, pullovers, waterproof jackets, gloves, thermal wears, l and an extra pair of socks.
- Don’t forget to carry your torch and personal medication and toiletries.
Best time to take up the trek
- In the month of August, most snow on the high passes would have melted
- During monsoon, the high ranges will still be affected by the rain making it hard to climb
- During Winters nature presents you with little snowfall.
- Planning to do an Uttarakhand trip? Want to know more about various plans? Check here- Kedarkantha Trek